Thursday, December 4, 2014

My Favorite Ornaments - Micah

Micah - my surprise gift from God, the one that we didn't plan, but God did…

When Moriah was four months old, I discovered that once again I was pregnant. It was not the ideal 2 year age span that we had planned, but God knew better than us (Imagine that!) what we needed to make our family complete.
So, exactly 1 year and 9 days after Moriah was born, Micah Elias Smith (my MES) made his appearance.

He was the sweetest, cuddliest, chubby little baby and within 6 months was bigger than Moriah. People in stores would stop us and ask if they were twins and when we said no, they would then ask us if he was the oldest. They looked so confused when we said she was older. ;D
I love Micah's unique purple and yellow giraffe with the cool hair (just like he wears his now). It reminds me of how different each one of our kids is in their gifts and personality.

Micah has always been the tough, get angry at the pain rather than cry about it, kind of kid. As a baby receiving his shots, he would scowl and grunt rather than cry. :D

We have always called Micah, "Micah Mess," not just because his initials spell MES, but because he used to be the child who made the biggest messes. Whether he was eating or playing, he was making a mess! ;D


When I saw this ornament, I had to purchase it, as it reminded me of my own little mess. When you push the button on the bottom, the blocks fall down. It fit Micah to a tee.

And of course, this one clearly displayed his curiosity which led to many opportunities for messes in my house. This would lead to him getting in trouble, which would lead to the lower lip quiver and the huge, I mean, giant crocodile tears that would fill up his eyes and overflow down his cheeks. It makes my lower lip stick out just thinking about it. :D

As he has grown into the (just recently) tall, thin athletic young man, I see before me today, his personality is become even more refined. Although he still makes a mess every now and then, the MES is becoming more like his own personal Messi as he hones the soccer skills that only God could have given him (as they didn't come from me). The determined, tough little boy is fast becoming the bold, strong in his faith, unafraid to learn something new, always willing and available for a new adventure young man.

He is so like his dad, in that he never meets a stranger and he talks to everyone in Spanish, even if he makes mistakes. He doesn't mind, just files it away in his brain for next time. He is our personal translator and he loves to go and do and serve. And he doesn't mind sharing the abilities of his siblings as well, even when they ask him to keep it on the down-low. ;D

After living in three different countries in two different continents, the variety of people I have seen is amazing. We serve an awesome creative, imaginative God who not only formed us, but breathed His breath of life into us. And although we are all completely unique, when we join together to serve our Creator, we fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

His rocking horse shows birth stats that seem pretty average, but Micah is not your average kid. In fact, none of our children are average. Yours aren't either. Children are special blessings from God, each uniquely created as another masterpiece in His collection.

And there is not one that is an accident to God. He planned them all, whether we did or not! Most people I know who have 'surprise' children will agree with me, they couldn't imagine their lives without them.

Thank you Jesus for your surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment