Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Favorite Ornaments - Hand-painted

Malachi's 2009 Christmas tree
In 2009, we went with our church's homeschool group to a pottery place in Clayton, NC to paint ornaments for Christmas. At the time, we had an 11, 9, 8, 6, and 3 year old and it kept me on my toes going back and forth between all five making sure they were having no problems and the paint was going on to the ornament and not themselves. I do think that I did most of the work on Merci's ornament that year. :D

For the next three years, we enjoyed going back and painting each Christmas season. Not all of those made by our kids were ornaments, so therefore, they are not all hanging on the tree, but here are the ones that are…

Moriah's 2010 Jesus fish
When I look at these ornaments, I think about the time it took to paint each one. The kids would pick a color and paint that section, then choose the next color and paint that section, and so on until the first coat was finished. Then they would use a hair dryer to completely dry the paint and start all over again on the second coat and again for a third coat. It was time consuming and tedious at times, but they always stuck with it and completed the task.

Moriah's 2011 Ladybug
Then came the hard part…the waiting. We would have to leave their ornaments at the pottery place to be finished in the kiln. When we would leave, the ornaments were painted, but still very dull. But when we would pick them up the next week or so, they were shiny and beautiful.

It reminds me so much of our lives as Christians.

Micah's 2010 fish

God is continually working on us. He finishes the first coat, but He knows we still need more work, so He adds another coat, but we are just not going to shine bright enough, so he adds another coat. He take the time to get the details just right for each one of us. Then He puts us in the kiln to burn off all the junk, to get rid of all the things that will make us dull and lifeless.


And when we come out, we are stronger, shining brighter and full of life.
And we may even spend a little time on the shelf…waiting for His perfect timing.

Micah's 2011 Venezuela flag
Matthew's 2010 Puppy dog
Matthew's 2011 Airplane
Merci's 2010 Colorful acorn
Merci's 2011 Christmas tree
God has so many great plans for us, but the work He needs to do in our lives, the fires we need to go through to get rid of the junk in our lives, and the waiting we need to do to help us be complete in Him…well…those things aren't fun. We really don't like them and would rather take the easy road much of the time.



But just like these ornaments, the finished product is so worth it.

Becoming what God intends for me to be is so much better than any plans or ideas that I might have.

I want to be just like these ornaments. I want to let God have the time He needs to make me into the vessel that He wants. 


I don't want to go through the fire, but like He promises in Isa. 43:1-2, He will be with me and He won't let me get burned because He created me.

And in those times of waiting, I want to spend that time preparing so that I can be ready when He says, "Go!" I don't want to be half-prepared or half-hearted about anything.

I want to be all in and become the finished product that God planned before He formed me in my mother's womb, the product of His design, shining forth His light!

















But now thus says the Lord,

he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel:“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you, when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. Isa. 43:1-2





No comments:

Post a Comment