Saturday, December 6, 2014

My Favorite Ornaments - Merci

Merci - my baby girl, a faint hope come to life, our youngest treasure.

In October of 2005, I started having that familiar desire once again to have a baby. When I brought it to Scott's attention, he emphatically stated his opposition…not because he didn't want another baby, but because he was worried about losing me in the process. 

For 3 out of the 4 pregnancies, I had developed placenta previa and with each pregnancy it had progressively gotten worse and lasted for a longer period of time before resolving itself. Scott's biggest fear was, if we had another child, we were risking my life in that the previa might not resolve itself and I could go into labor and bleed to death. 

I completely understood and released my desire to God, but I still continued to feel the urge. In January of 2006, Scott decided to do an extended fast and since I was still feeling that desire, I asked him to pray that God would either change his heart or cause my desire to dissipate. He begrudgingly agreed. 

Several days into his fast, he came to me and said, "God spoke to me today and we are supposed to have another baby. He said that we would have a girl and you already had the name." As I stood there in shock with my mouth gaping open, he shared with me how on his way home from work that day, for the first time in his life, he heard the audible voice of God speaking to him. He almost ran off the road as he looked around searching for the source of the voice. 

Shortly afterward, we discovered we were pregnant and on October 9, 2006, Merci Hope Smith joined our family. Oh, by the way, I never developed previa during my pregnancy, although if you have developed it before, it usually occurs again with each consecutive pregnancy. In fact, I had a most remarkably, healthy pregnancy all due to the One that planned Merci long before He placed the desire in my heart!

So, when I look at Merci's first ornaments, I can't help but think about God's perfect plan for our family and I am so very grateful that we were obedient to His promptings. She is a constant reminder of the Mercy of our Lord and the Hope of Salvation.

When I look at her first two year's ornaments, I can't help but think of how Merci loves babies. She plays with her dolls, of course, but anytime there is a real baby present, she begs to hold him or her and loves to play with toddlers as well.

Her tender heart and compassion towards others is evident as she will cry at the slightest thought of someone being mad at her, or if she feels someone is being treated unfairly. She makes friends with everyone she meets, just like her Daddy. Anytime she sees someone that might be close to her age, she always asks if she can "make a new friend." And she is constantly writing notes to Mom and Dad about how much she loves us and how we are the best in the world. :D

Although she has her own bed, she would rather sleep with her big sister. And when said big sister gets a little irritated with her younger sister, all we have to do is remind her about how she prayed so hard for that little sister! ;D

I always joke that Merci is the only mercy I have!

Although I don't naturally have a great deal of mercy, God is allowing me to learn more about His mercy through the actions of my Merci!

Our family would not be complete without Merci Hope. Her addition to this family has brought us great joy and we cherish her, Matthew, Micah, Moriah and Malachi.

Thank you Jesus for the treasures of our children, the joy they bring to our lives and the memories we have made together!

No comments:

Post a Comment