Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My Favorite Ornaments - Carved in Spanish

The year we were in Costa Rica officially ended the many years of Hallmark ornaments for our kids. Although there are Hallmark stores in CR, none of them carried the ornaments.After all the years of picking up the annual catalog, searching through the ornaments on the pages and picking out the perfect one for each child, we had to figure out a new plan.

One day as we were visiting the local Artisan Market, we discovered an older gentleman carving wooden keychains into names.

 Right then and there, we decided to celebrate our new life in Latin America by giving our children keychain ornaments with their names carved in Spanish. Because our children all have biblical names, it was easy to translate their names into Spanish. All of their names change with the exception of Moriah. Merci's name is a little long in Spanish, so people normally just call her Merci, but the boys go by their Spanish names with no problem.

 I love that my children's names can be translated, but it can cause problems at times when a group of kids want you to translate their name into English and it is either the same in English or doesn't exist. The latter happens more often than not and so it can be hard to explain to a child that not only does their name not translate, but you have no idea how to say or spell it.

Usually I just smile and say what a beautiful name they have and hope that I don't need to remember it for later. ;D

In all seriousness though, when I look at their names carved in Spanish, it makes me think about how much I want Jesus' name carved on their hearts. Not only that, but I want them to live their lives in such a way as to make others want to have Jesus' name carved on their hearts as well. And then I realize that if I want all of that to take place, then I must try to be a walking, talking example to them of a life that has Jesus' name carved on my heart. Our children are always watching us. I want them to see Jesus in me. The Venezuelan people are always watching the "gringos" and wondering why we would come to their country. I want them to see Jesus in us!

Thank you, Jesus, that you loved us enough to come and give your life for us.
Please help us to live our lives with your sacrifice ever before us and your name carved on our hearts and lives.

1 comment:

  1. Really loving this little Christmas ornament series, Charity! Merry Christmas to all of you from the Cason gang!

    ReplyDelete