Sunday, September 9, 2012

Shopping Costa Rica style!


We have been in CR all of 3 days and we have had quite the shopping experiences.

First, on Thursday, we were allowed one member of the family to go to Walmart to buy groceries for the family. We had one hour and one ride. Next time we will have to take a taxi or ride the bus and carry our groceries back home the same way.

So, Scott was elected to be the shopper as he has been doing that for the last several months. We made up a list and he tried to find it all in that short hour. 

Needless to say, he came home with quite a few items missing from the list.

Second, on Friday, we took a bus ride with our entire new group and went downtown to shop at Universal. They are more of a specialty store with the entire upstairs laid out with toys, games and books. Downstairs was mostly school supplies, electronics and make-up counters. They were pricey, but a very nice, clean store. There was nothing out of place, even in the toy section. 

Matthew would have been thrilled with the selection of Legos, but what we would have paid $12-$15 in the US, was more like $42 there. Oh, are we glad that we brought a footlocker full of legos!!

We went to lunch downtown and had chicken lasagna which was tremendous. (I may not lose any weight here if I keep eating like I am right now!) ;D

Third, we were given an opportunity to go school supply shopping at El Rey. They were much cheaper than Universal and we moms looked like we were playing bumper cars with our buggies as we dodged in and out of aisles trying to find what we needed in as short a time as possible, so as not to keep Missionary Josh (who so graciously volunteered to take us) away from his family too long (and the Mexico vs. Costa futbol game that evening). ;D

Fourth, on Saturday morning, bright and early, the men again took off for another shopping trip. This time they went to the open market, La Feria, to purchase all our fresh fruits and veggies. Scott bought us carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, yucca, cucumbers, green beans, avocados, plantains, baby bananas, oranges, mangos, black beans and garlic all for around $30. Scott said it was about 60lbs. of food. WOW! That will definitely be a weekly trip. 

When he returned, Missionary Josh decided to take our entire family to Price Smart, our local Costco affiliate, to get our membership there, as well as a cake for Matthew’s birthday. We were able to completely stock up on all the bulk items we needed for such a large family and bring them back in his van instead of trying to take two taxis (which we would need to accommodate our large family and all our groceries back home.)

We were able to spend a little time with Josh, his wife April and their three kids and enjoy a delicious pizza lunch and celebrate Matthew’s birthday with cake and icing that made all our teeth blue! :D

Lastly, yesterday afternoon, I walked with a group of CINCEL newbies and some of the veterans to Pequeno Mundo and Auto Marcado to see what they had to offer. They are both within walking distance so no bus or taxi is needed, although a good rolling cart is great to have for carrying home the heavy loads. They are both great stores that are not too expensive and we will find ourselves there more so than Walmart, although I still can’t believe there is a Walmart here. 

I actually found a cart for very cheap, bought it and carried my few purchases home. There really wasn’t enough to be too heavy, but we started out our walk with a drizzle and ended in a downpour. 

Needless to say, my waterproof rain jacket is only water-resistant and apparently not too resistant to downpours of that type! So I got a little wet...soaked to be exact. I sorta looked like a drowned rat/hunchback of Notre dame as my backpack purse was on my back under the jacket. Did I also fail to mention that my jacket is bright orange? I’m sure I was quite a sight walking the streets of San Jose! 

I feel quite “shopped” out at this point and ready to rest at home for a few days. Hopefully all the bulk buying will keep us well-fed for a little while so we can take a shopping break. 

Who would have thought anybody would ever need a break from shopping? ;D

...although, we still need to visit a local butcher that we have heard about who is cheap and clean and the local artisan shops for inexpensive gifts. 

Now...if we just had extra spending money!! ;D




2 comments:

  1. Love this!!! Can't wait to read it to the boys! Sounds like an adventure for sure. Loved your description of walking back in the orange raincoat - I could so see that in my head as I was reading it - haha!!! Glad Matthew was able to have some cake for his birthday. Happy Birthday to Matthew! Blue lips and all! : )

    Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. I know that I could get tired of shopping! Tell Scott not to feel bad, I am always missing something from my list. At least he had an excuse. I don't really have one, well unless you count that I am scattered brained most of the time!
    Happy Late Birthday to Matthew!! I love the icing faces and all!
    Love and kisses!!

    ReplyDelete