Monday, September 17, 2012

Cultural Nuances or...Things that Make You Go "Hmmmm"

Today I experienced a first.

I guess it would be one of those cultural things that make you scratch your head a little.

Anyway, I just have to share it with you.

We needed a few things from Price Smart, so we headed that way.

Now, Price Smart is like a BJ's, Sam's Club or Costco. In fact, it is owned by Costco, so it reminds us of home.

They normally offer samples like Tiramisu cookies (which are delicious) and little cups of freshly ground and brewed coffee.

But today was a first!

I have never seen in any store a sample like I saw today.

Let me just give you a picture...actually I am going to show you a picture.


Yes, you saw that right.

They were offering samples of COORS LIGHT BEER!!!

As I walked by, I thought they were offering the juice that was stacked right beside the sample table.

But alas, I was wrong.

Not only did I see the sample table, but I saw a wonderful mother holding her toddler, take a swig and then offer her child a drink!!

I have to say, this was a first for me! I'm sure the people didn't know what to think of the woman walking through the store with her mouth dragging the floor and tripping over buggies in my shock.

Of course, Scott had to find his own unique item.


If you can't read it, it is Budweiser BBQ sauce?!

Look, I understand some of the cultural issues like throwing your used toilet paper in the trash can. When the pipes are so small, then you don't want to constantly be plunging your toilet because of clogged paper.

Although I constantly remind myself, "Throw the paper in the trash. Throw the paper in the trash." It still somehow ends up in the toilet!!

I have been throwing it in the toilet for almost 34 years. (I figure I was potty-trained around 2.)

GIMME A BREAK PEOPLE! It is hard to re-train some things.

But back to my point. Toilet paper in the trash is one thing. Giving people free beer samples...really?

I guess that is just one of those...Things that make you go "Hmmmmm!"

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! If those samples were to be given here....that line would be never ending!!
    And toilet paper in the trash! I know that's hard. On our last mission trip the sewage lines were busted and we only had to trash it until it was fixed hours later!!
    I am sure you will probably be able to write a book on the differences...oh, you already are. Just publish your blog one day!!
    Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your new life! Love to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys and I love reading these blog posts. Tyler says, "It must be fun living there and that picture of Mr. Scott is funny!" I remember having to throw toilet paper in the trash can while on our mission trip in Ghana. Old habits do die hard!! I'm sure you'll get used to it eventually!

    I think of you often but especially last night when I made up a batch of your famously yummy corn dip!!! That was the first time Mike has tried it and he loved it!

    Oh and by the way, Mike accepted a job with a tire company and starts next Monday! Woohoo! We are so thankful and blessed!

    We are praying for and thinking about you! Love and hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete