Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Happy Tears!

Today I shed some happy tears!

I was able to experience something most people never get to see.

We had the opportunity, after school, to ride with Bill from Latin America Child Care (LACC) which just happens to share a gated entrance with our school (CINCEL) to visit one of the LACC schools in the San Jose area.

Los Guido LACC School is outside the city and up the mountain a little way.

LACC is one of the ministries that we get to help with in Venezuela.

One of the opportunities provided through LACC is for you in North America or wherever you live, to sponsor a child to attend an LACC school. Just like you would through Compassion International or other such organization, you get to pick a child that you will help to cover their costs to attend school and not only learn educationally, but be provided a way out of a continuous cycle of poverty.

Scott and I sponsored a little girl in Haiti through Compassion International, from the time she was 5 until she turned 20 and graduated from the program and moved on to college. We had the chance to go and visit her once when we were first married and didn't go...today made me wish I had.

When we first arrived, Bill took us to one class in particular and had a young boy brought out. He spoke with him for a few moments and introduced him to our new friends, Randy, Lynne and their daughter, Jennifer.

I thought it was strange for a moment until I realized what was happening right before my eyes.

Randy and Lynne's friends in Washington state sponsor little Josue and they brought a letter with a picture of this family and hand-delivered it directly to Josue.


Then out of Lynne's bag, she pulled a large red and blue soccer ball that was a gift from this family to Josue.


He stood there kinda shy and shocked, and simply asked if the ball was his to keep.

As I stood there with tears welling up in my eyes or sweating eyes, whichever you prefer, I couldn't believe the opportunity that I had been given to witness this amazing moment.

This precious little boy, who probably has very little, just had someone take the time to bring a special letter and gift to him, all the way from another country to show him how much he is loved and cared for by people he may never get to meet.

What a God-ordained moment!

I don't think Josue will ever forget that gift! I know I surely won't!

And of course there were the funny moments today when the little kids thought that Scott's head was too funny in its state of bald!!



It was like rubbing the genie's lantern. They all took a turn rubbing the bald man's head!

Scott kept asking, "Donde esta mi pelo?" or "Where is my hair?"

The kids just giggled and rubbed it some more. He shaved this morning, so his head was soft and smooth to the touch. 

He is definitely glad he chose to shave this morning for such a simple, yet special moment for these little ones who have so little and so few opportunities for silly fun.

Another thing we won't forget anytime soon. I pray these children won't either!

And more happy tears fall as I think about the 5 days each week that they are in this wonderful LACC school where they get to hear about our Savior, Jesus, and the new life and hope that only HE can bring to their lives!

Here's a link to find out more about LACC, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment